Sunday, June 23, 2013

Remembering

I am thankful for...

True, raw, out-in-the-open freedom of confession and forgiveness
The knowledge that I can never be the perfect me. And that is OK. That is the point.
God who loves me despite me.
Not really understanding love and continuing to be surprised by expressions of it.
The wind.
Mountains.
Friends who are really more like sisters and brothers.
The vulnerability that comes with those close friends.
Not having to be "fine."
Early mornings with a coffee cup, a couch, socks, sunrises, and the quiet that timidly grows louder as the sun appears.
Discipline. Self-control. Contentment.
Almonds.
Fresh cherries.
Watermelon.
Soccer in the fall.
Cold temperatures but warm fires.
Fresh bread.
Down comforters.
The color emerald.
My last present from my grandmother.
Hard stuff.
Family.
Cousins.
Needing the help of Jesus.
Knowing that I need the help of Jesus.
Vulnerability.
Honesty.
Help.
Tears.
Emotions.
Curly hair.
Music.
Poetry.
Essays.
Acoustic music.
Floral and lace things.
Learning from mistakes.
Admitting mistakes.
A fresh start.
A new home.
Adventures.
Coming home after adventuring.
Sleep.
Acts of service.
Words of affirmation.
Encouragement.
Friends who tell the truth to you.
Friends to whom you can tell the truth.
Humor.
Wisdom.
Flowers.
Walking ponds.
Feeding geese.
Icicles.
Snow.
Fall leaves.
Crisp fall morning air.
Bon fires.
Burnt marshmallows.
Camping.
Hiking.
Outdoors.
Open windows.
Singing in harmony.


I am thankful for life. It is hard. And sometimes I am not good at living it. But it is a gift from God and so there must be beauty in it. And for that I will be thankful.

And so I will make lists so that I have to remember. And when I doubt I will look at the lists. And when others doubt, I will help them make lists. And I will remember. And I will try to be thankful, because this is life.

To live is to struggle. I want to struggle well. I want to be known for needing Jesus.

And so we remember to not forget. We remember to live, to struggle, to fight. We remember to be real.

And that is beautiful.

No comments: