Tuesday, September 17, 2013

From JD to JC (see what I did there?)

George Mueller's life has always interested me. I remember my mother purchasing a large set of biographies about Christian missionaries when I was in middle school. It took me a while to find an interest in them, as I was conflicted by the realization that I was probably the only 13 year-old choosing a missionary's biography over teen magazines that featured the Hanson brothers. I remember, though, the day I choose George Mueller's story.

George Mueller is known for founding orphanages in England in the 1800s. What stood out for me, though, was that he was an outstanding rebel before his conversion. He stole, he partied, he made fun of Christians, and he was an all-around juvenile delinquent. Then, he went to a Bible study that changed his life. He decided to become a missionary and, much to his educated father's dismay, not attend university. With a few minor tests of faith, Mueller left for England and became a pastor and, shortly thereafter, opened up an orphanage because of the excessive number of homeless children he found walking the streets of England.

He is most famous for this situation:

"The children are dressed and ready for school. But there is no food for them to eat," the housemother of the orphanage informed George Mueller. George asked her to take the 300 children into the dining room and have them sit at the tables. He thanked God for the food and waited. George knew God would provide food for the children as he always did. Within minutes, a baker knocked on the door. "Mr. Mueller," he said, "last night I could not sleep. Somehow I knew that you would need bread this morning. I got up and baked three batches for you. I will bring it in."

This story kind of baffles me. I want to firmly believe in God's provision and timing just as Mueller did. I want to not allow doubt or discouragement blind my faith.

Mueller thanked God before the blessing arrived.

Mueller brought others with him into the test of faith.

Mueller believed, yes, but he also acted on his belief.

Mueller trusted. Mueller waited.

And such a simple concept kind of rocks my world tonight. I am reminded to act on my faith. Physically acting on faith should be a natural repercussion of believing it and claiming it in my soul. It should be obvious when I am acting on faith. Because, typically, faith-led actions look and feel sort of illogical. Pray before nonexistent food? Place my staff into a sea and expect it to divide? Build an ark so that my family can be safe? Trust that my husband won't stone me because I am pregnant with the Son of God?

Basing my assumption off of Biblical evidence, God doesn't seem to be advocating that Christians will have easy, predictable, stress-free lives.

And so, here we go again. Another school year, another round of new trials and another set of standards I must meet. And it is really tempting for me to doubt and not trust that He who has brought me thus far will lead me through. Sometimes it feels more logical for me to envision myself failing than succeeding. But that is not the mentality of my God nor the stance he wants me to take towards life. And so I press onward and I fight for my faith.

It IS a fight and it will never be anything but a fight. But the battle is won and for that I am thankful. I have so many nothings to offer, but I have faith in the One who is I Am. And that is enough.

Like good ole' GM, I will give THANKS before it comes because I know He is providing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you 100%. If only we all could live our lives as George Mueller did.......God desires our thankful hearts as a way to true worship of Him. Thanks for your inspiring words & sweet reminder to give thanks in all things.

Mommie

Rebekah Spear said...

I love you, Motherest!